A waterproof digital temperature probe containing a DS18B20 sensor. The sensor is housed in a metal probe, at the end of a 1m cable. The DS18B20 Digital Thermometer provides 9 to 12–bit centigrade temperature measurements and has an alarm function with nonvolatile user-programmable upper and lower trigger points. The DS18B20 communicates over a 1-Wire bus that by definition requires only one data line (and ground) for communication with a central microprocessor. It has an operating temperature range of –55°C to +125°C and is accurate to ±0.5°C over the range of –10°C to +85°C. In addition, the DS18B20 can derive power directly from the data line (“parasite power”), eliminating the need for an external power supply.
Each DS18B20 has a unique 64-bit serial code, which allows multiple DS18B20s to function on the same 1–wire bus; thus, it is simple to use one microprocessor to control many DS18B20s distributed over a large area. Applications that can benefit from this feature include HVAC environmental controls, temperature monitoring systems inside buildings, equipment or machinery, and process monitoring and control systems.
There are many resources on the internet describing how to use the DS18B20 with Arduino, AVR, PIC and other embedded platforms.
This module should be connected as follows:
- The green or black wire is connected to ground (0V).
- The red wire is connected to 3.0 to 5.5V power
- The yellow or white wire is connected to the 1-Wire Network.
If the probe is to use parasitic power, power is not required, and the red wire should be connected to ground as well.
- DS18B20 housed in a waterproof, metal probe
- 1m long cable
- 3.0V to 5.5V Operating Voltage
- Measures temperatures from –55°C to +125°C (–67°F to +257°F)
- 0.5C accuracy from –10°C to +85°C
- Thermometer resolution is user-selectable from 9 to 12 bits
- Converts temperature to 12-bit digital word in 750ms (max.)
- Requires no external components
Using this sensor with a Controller board
We stock a wide range of embedded Single Board Computers (Arduino, PIC Microchip SBC…) that can be used together with this sensor. Seeing that this sensors works with a wide operating voltage, it is compatible with any of our 3.3V and 5V boards. See the Boards section of our menu at the top of this page (or use search box) for our full range of SBC Boards. Following are some lists (created by search terms) of compatible accessories.
- 5V SBC Boards (search for “5v sbc”)
- 3.3V SBC Boards (search for “3.3v sbc”)
- Dual voltage 5V and 3.3V SBC Boards (search for “5v/3.3v sbc board”)
- Modtronix SBC Boards (search for “modtronix sbc”)
- Arduino Main SBC Boards (search for “arduino main board”)
- ….. For other lists, use search box on the top of this page!
Documentation, Sample Code and Resources
- The product datasheet in PDF format is available here.
- To post a question, or share code, see our user forum.
What is included
- 1 x DS18B20 Temperature Sensor housed in a waterproof probe, with a 1m cable
1 x Item as described above